Monday, September 24, 2007

My workflow with RSS

I read a lot of feeds, but most of the folk in my online network would read the same amount as me.

LOTS OF FEEDS
According to the "Trends" in my google reader, I subscribe to 230 feeds and in the last 30 days, I read 1395 items. I would guess that maybe 4 of these items per week are emailed out to someone else at work.

FOLDERS
I have about 30 feeds in my "00 I read this" folder, that are at the top of my list of feeds and I tend to watch daily. There are another 50 or so in my "01 I sorta read this" folder. I read these weekly. The rest are categorised into folders like "51 Library techie - hot " , "53 Library techie - warm" or "31 - Australian library " - they get a look in every fortnight or so.

I subscribe to blogs by people who read other blogs - by following their links, I read excerpts from more than just 30 blogs each day.

TO ME, IT'S NOT ANOTHER PLACE TO LOOK

I'm not too fussed about being notified when there is an update or having to "go" to a different place. I have so many windows open at once, that to me, all of these sites ARE already in the same spot - in my browser on the web. It doesn't feel like another place to go - just different facets of the same place.

Right now, I have 34 Firefox tabs open on my home PC and another 3 open in Internet Explorer. On my work laptop, where I'm writing this, I have 10 tabs open.

Each morning when I switch on my home PC I open up:
1. Firefox
1.1 Gmail for sirexkat
1.2 Twitter
1.3 My blog, Librariansmatter.com to check who has linked to it overnight
1.4 librariesinteract.info to check whether anyone had contributed a post that needs publishing
1.5 Sitemeter to see hits on Librariansmatter
1.6 Google reader to read my feeds
1. 7 My Facebook account
1.8 My "Remember the Milk" account so I can see my To Do list

2. Internet Explorer
2.1 Webmail for work - as it being a Microsoft product it works best in IE
2.2 Gmail account for libkat (as I can't log into two on the same browser)
2.3 Google reader for libkat

3. Thunderbird mail reader
3.1 For my "running the household" email account with my ISP

4. Outlook calender
4.1 Our central "running the household" calendar that Co-Pilot and I sync our PDAs to.


Within a few minutes I also have open:
5.1 Several posts from my reader upon which I comment
5.2 Several links that friends have thrown out on twitter
5.3 Del.icio.us that I have used to bookmark the most useful lot from 4.1 and 4.2 .

Using the ALT TAB key sequence, I give all of them my continuous partial attention.

1 comment:

Scritty said...

I'm sorry LibKat but that amount of tabs just freaks me out....
Scritty